Criteria and Application
UXBRIDGE MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP TRUST
To Encourage and Support
The Trust was established in 1998 to recognize and make financial awards to music students who intend to pursue musical studies at the post-secondary level. This year Scholarships will be awarded in the range of $500 to $3,000. Auditions for vocal and instrumental students will be held in Uxbridge on Saturday, May 27, 2017. For application forms and details of award criteria please see below. Information may also be obtained by emailing email@example.com. We welcome and invite applications from all those under the age of 25 who reside in or are studying music within the Township of Uxbridge.
Applications must be received no later than May 15.
Please read the criteria for the Music Performance Scholarship.....
UXBRIDGE MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP TRUST
OBJECTIVES, PROCESS & CRITERIA
for SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
“A” Scholarships are offered to students who will take music as their major.
- 1.The objective of each scholarship is to assist financially those students 25 years and younger who have permanent residence or have studied within the Township of Uxbridge and who are proceeding to full time studies at a post-secondary institution either in their year of graduation or the following year. Two types of awards are offered:
“B” Scholarships are offered to students who will take music as a minor.
A candidate can enter the competition more than once, but cannot win more than once.
- 2. Notification of the competition and details on how to apply will be published in the local press and by notice at Uxbridge Secondary School by March 31. Applications will be received at any time up to May 15.
- 3. Selection of scholarship winners will be by audition and by other criteria outlined below. Auditions will be held on a Saturday in Uxbridge in the final two weeks in May. Awards will be presented at a ceremony prior to the end of August.
- 4. Auditions will be conducted by a Scholarship Performing Adjudicating Panel consisting two people who live outside the Township of Uxbridge and who will include at least one music teacher and a musician whose principal activity is as performer. The panel will be established each year by March 31.
- 5. Recipients must demonstrate the following:
- a. Acceptance by a recognized institute of higher education verifying specifically the nature of the program being entered and whether music is a major or minor. This may be provided after the adjudication but must be in the hands of the Scholarship Trust Committee before July 1 of the year in which the student plans to attend the institute.
- b. High academic standing at the High School level.
- c. A high level of performance at the audition in two contrasting pieces at their current level of study. Total performance time is to be 10 minutes. Performers may or may not use sheet music at their discretion without loss of marks,
- d. Musical involvement within the community
- 6. Applicants will provide, along with their application, a personal statement of no more than 500 words about their future study plans and why they should be considered for an award.
- 7. Recipients may be asked to perform in one of the Trust’s “Rising Stars Concerts” during the year following the award of the scholarship, subject to mutual availability.
- 8. Cheques for successful candidates will be made payable to the candidate.
- 9. Relative weighing of the above criteria will be approximately as follows:
- ♫ Performance in audition: 75%
- ♫ Academic achievement: 10%
- ♫ Personal letter 5%
- ♫ Community involvement 10%
Then provide the committee with the following
information by mail to the address at the bottom.
HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDING/GRADUATED FROM
VOCAL/INSTRUMENTAL (or both) ?
State instrument(s) (if applicable)
HOW MANY YEARS OF INSTRUCTION?
WHICH INSTITUTION(S) HAVE YOU APPLIED
TO/BEEN ACCEPTED BY?
WHICH COURSES OF STUDY
DO YOU INTEND TO PURSUE?
(Please be precise)
1. Please tell us about your plans for your musical career.
2. What musical events have you been involved in at your school or in your community?
3. Why do you feel you should be awarded a Scholarship?
4. Please provide us with the top six marks you received in your last year of high school.
PLEASE RETURN COMPLETED FORM TO:
UXBRIDGE MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP
P.O. BOX 373
VERIFICATION OF MARKS AND ADMISSION
BY UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE WILL BE ASKED
FOR PRIOR TO ANY AWARD.
Application deadline is May 15.
Best of luck!